
The healthcare debate is certainly getting heated...and rightly so. After all you are dealing with a person's most intimate. personal life decisions.
I am annoyed by the labels attached to my point of view. I am against this bill in it's current form. Am I selfish, misinformed, or an idiot....blindly following lies told to me by the special interest groups. Uh no.
I studied these sytems extensively while in college, and continued to keep myself informed. Back then, the issue was MRI's. My kid needed one, and we waited a week for an appointment. In Canada....they had only 2 for the entire country...the wait for an appointment there was more than a year.
I shudder to think what could have happened to my kid's injury.
I don't think it's a good idea to hand over to the government (whose track record is questionable) this part of life. Many experts also agree with me...and the people who have socilized healthcare (Canada, England, Russia)also think we are crazy to mess with our system- unanimously hailed as the best in the world. Can we improve it? sure. Let's work toward that, in a deliberate, rational manner...not under a self-imposed timeline...we have seen in the past few months that this mentality to rush thru a bill...usually ends in a bad result.
Let's consider these principals from a different point of view.
A Car & Car Insurance: everyone ought to have them. That is fair. You can't work, go to school,or do anything without a car. I'd like to help the folks who don't have one. So I think the government should provide a car and the insurance to every person who does not have it. Everyone who has a car (that they worked & saved for)should be charged an extra amount so that people who can't work, don't work, & won't work for whatever reason will have what they want. Some of these people have totaled several cars...and even driven while drunk...they decided to not carry insurance for it was costly, but they should still have the right to drive- at my expense?
Years ago, the law was changed to require everyone to carry their own insurance, for their own car, at their own expense.
See the pilgrims tried this "lets give everyone the same thing philosophy"...they held all things in common...the idea was that together they could meet everyone's needs easily....but human nature got in the way..and soon, a few, who did not plow, plant, harvest, preserve or prepare...wanted to sit at the table and eat their full too! They figured out that they could sit back and do nothing....and still be taken care of....so they did. Those settlers promptly changed the rules...if you did not work, then you did not eat.
If Anyone Will Not Work Neither Shall He Eat - 2 Thessalonians 3:10-11
So Let''s instead tell people that they must work for what they want...If they need temporary assistance...or emergency care-we'll help them. Let's go further and have a system that takes care of those who simply can't take care of themselves...that is kind. That is just. That is charitable.
But let's not tell the simple working man or woman to make more bricks with the same straw...pay for yourself to live & pay for your neighbors to have the same as you even though they do not work for it.
I have never felt that health insurance was a right to be possessed.
I have been without and been pregnant,
and I have been blessed with some good coverage.
I have never had completely free coverage. This is one reason my husband keeps a job...to pay for us to have coverage. We are responsible. We also see the need to help out those not as fortunate. That is Charity.
"Charity is voluntary. The giving of charitable help is to be done by individuals (and organizations they may form). Charity is not to be compelled by the State. Forced charity takes from one & gives to another." -David J. Bostrom
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
May I opine about healthcare
Posted by Life with Linda at 2:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
i completely and whole heartedly agree. very well said
i agree with jessie! this should really be published in a magazine somewhere =)
Well said! I agree with you.
Here, here!!! You said everything I have thought. Great post Linda!
Post a Comment